Tips and tricks for memorable table centrepieces
June 6th, 2016 by admin
These days, table centrepieces are more than a few flowers popped into a vase. They have become key components in decorating a room for any special occasion:
- High table centrepieces or decorations hanging from the ceiling help to make the room seem full when only a few guests have arrived
- Centrepieces help set the mood and ambiance of your special occasion
- They can be used as gifts and mementos for your guests to take home
- Table centrepieces can bring the theme of your special occasion to life
- Impressive centrepieces can be conversation starters when guests don’t know each other
Here are our top tips to help you plan striking table centrepieces for your next special occasion.
Decide on the size and shape of the tables
While round tables are popular, you can also request square or rectangular tables. The shape of the tables will influence the style of the centrepieces.
For example, a single centrepiece will look great on a round table but lost on a large rectangular table. While a long, thin centrepiece can look fantastic on a rectangular table but will make a round table look cluttered.
Let the theme be your inspiration
Fresh flowers and votive candles are popular options for table centrepieces but there are many more possibilities available. Look to the season, reason or theme of your celebration for inspiration. For example:
- Tall vases filled with fabric or real autumn leaves add beautiful rustic tones to an autumn event
- Tall candelabras add drama and elegance to more formal celebrations
- Help your guests relive their childhood by filling large glass bowls with an assortment of chocolates and lollies and encourage them to indulge throughout the event
- For beach-style or summer celebrations, consider using large square bowls filled with sand, faux shells and starfish as well as other beach motifs
- For something different, how about small aquariums filled with goldfish that guests can take home
- For birthday parties, try anchoring helium balloons to small, weighted bags surrounded by fresh flowers
Using tall centrepieces will help to fill the room and give visual impact to your special occasion. However, care needs to be taken to ensure the centrepiece doesn’t restrict conversation around the table.
Tall candelabras work well because their thin base allows guests to look around them. While tall glass vases allow guests to see through them so they can observe everyone at the table. As a rule of thumb:
- Low centrepieces should be less than 30cm high
- Tall centrepieces should be clear or thin to a minimum height of 60cm
A perfect place to celebrate
Surrounded by beautiful parklands and waterways, WatervieW in Bicentennial Park has the space to help you realise your vision – whatever the occasion. Enquire online or phone 02 9764 9900.